Many of you may be seasoned Restaurant Week (RW) attendees by now. Since Suga is in the same boat, I have selected restaurants whose menus have stood out and are different from what they usually have for RW. They also have a reputation for good service, good quality food and value for money.
For those who still have a lot to experience with Restaurant Week, take a gamble if you do not see your choice on my list. You never know, you may end up with a winner for dinner.
Let’s get to it!
***The Price of each category includes a choice of appetizer, main course and dessert. Beverages, G.C.T and gratuity additional***
Fromage Brasserie in Kingston! Best menu on the Epicurean list.
Nirvanna Indian Restaurant in Kingston! Best Ethnic Restaurant in Kingston. Great choice for an authentic, Indian feast.
• Chive Eatery in Village Plaza, Kingston – New kids on the block with a killer menu of Pork buns, Oxtail Alfredo, their Signature dish of Crispy, glazed Pork Belly stuffed in a steamed bao bun with hoisin sauce, ginger and pickled cucumbers and more! They may be the dark horse of RW!
• Jamaica Liquor Warehouse in Kingston – One of my favourites. I would eat anything on their menu. Great variety, taste, good service and value for money.
• Tamarind Indian Cuisine in Kingston –Never usually disappoints. Savoury, authentic Indian food with good service.
• Pelican Grill has served well for many years. I would go with them if choosing this category in the second city.
I would also take a gamble with:
• Bubble & Spice, Coral Cliff
• Pier 1
• Uncorked West
• Anglers – A family pleaser with a mouth-watering seafood menu.
• Evita’s Italian Restaurant – They practically have the same menu each year, but it is so extensive that you can keep trying new savoury dishes in a delightful ambience with good service.
• Seaside Dutchie– Great seafood by the sea with unique presentation. This visit could be a fun family day or evening out. Their seafood is usually served in reasonable time compared to others.
• Sharkies Bar Grill & Tours in Runaway Bay– You may run the risk of a long wait, but it’s usually worth it. Great seafood by the sea.
• Smoked Marin Restaurant in Hanover – Delicious food by the sea with big portions. Their Signature Jerked Calamari dish looks interesting.
NYAM & SCRAM (30% off/Discounted Lunch Specials)
• Devon House Bakery for sweeting up the palate after a reduced size main.
• Fish Pot for serving up value for money for the people. They have a healthy salmon dish and a creamy coconut lobster pasta!
• Kushites Vegetable Cuisine -Take advantage of their deals! Best vegetarian restaurant in Jamaica.
● Super’s Spicy Doubles– I’ve never been, but I would take a gamble with those curry dish deals for $600JMD or less.
MORNING BITES (Discounted Breakfast Specials)
Mr. Breakfastlooks like a deal!
Reservations are recommended for all categories except for Nyam and Scram and Morning Bites. I suggest you still call ahead or just before you make your way for the restaurants that aren’t fast food ones in the Nyam and Scram category.
Check out Restaurant Week’s Website, http://go-jamaica.com/rw/ to see full menus and to find contact information and locations for the Restaurants.
By: Gabrielle Burgess
If you liked this Blog, follow Suga Lifestyle Online, on Instagram (@sugalifestyle), Twitter (@sugalifestyleja) or like the Suga Lifestyle Facebook page.
***Prices for each category include choice of Appetizer, Main Course and Dessert. Beverages, GCT and Gratuity additional.***
There are many options, but just a few stand out for Suga based on reputation, service, previous experiences including RW experiences, their RW Menu, usual serving sizes and value for money.
The Palms at C&C South Beach and Tamarind Indian Cuisine.
Menu stand outs for C&C South Beach are their Smoked Salmon Salad Appetizer, Washington Palms Pork Chop and Seafood Thermidor main courses. Their options for Dessert should please everyone. Keep in mind that South Beach usually has large serving sizes.
Menu stand outs for Tamarind Indian Cuisine include the Non Veg Platter, which is a combination of assorted chicken tikka, sweet chilli shrimps and sliced Szechuan fried fish, as well as the Green Thai Curry with your choice of chicken, fish or shrimp accompanied by Naan bread/rice and Tiramisu for dessert.
I still haven’t made it out to Rib Kage at The Serengeti Bistro, Hope Zoo, but I have gotten good reviews. It could be safe to take a chance on them.
> Montego Bay
The new Hard Rock Cafe and the oldie but goodie, Pelican Grill are the best choices hands down.
> Ocho Rios
Evita’s Italian Restaurant is usually good and fairly new kids on the block, Great Escape Restaurant at Runaway Bay have been doing well. I had a good time at Great Escape for RW last year and their menu has not really changed Definitely value for money.
> Old Harbour
Kaluga Cafe should please RW diners.
Dragon Court Restaurant has been consistently good over the years.
> Montego Bay
MVP Smokehouse has a decent menu to explore.
Smoked Marlin has delicious food and an inviting menu with value for money, but I question their ability to provide good service with a RW crowd. Good risk to take though. I suggest you go with fun company.
By: Gabrielle Burgess
If you liked this blog, follow Suga Lifestyle or like the Suga Lifestyle Facebook page.
Sunday before last, I visited Smoked Marlin Restaurant in Hopewell, Hanover for lunch with my husband.
Apart from our traditional Sweet Potato Pudding stop in Priory, St. Ann, Smoked Marlin was our last stop after a relaxed, food-filled weekend in Negril before heading back to Kingston.
Our waitress was pleasant but could have been more attentive. The wait for food including the Appetizer of Fish soup was too long. The diners that ordered just after us complained as well.
The food was tasty but did not blow us away. Servings were sizeable and made up for the delay. We had a little space left for Dessert, but they did not have all the items listed on the menu including the Tropical Crêpe that I desired.
I thought it would be a more impressive visit, but it was still a delightful experience with a picturesque seaside view to up the ante.
Date of visit: 30/4/17
NB. Ratings fill 5 stars maximum
Food quality: ★★★★☆
Serving amount: ★★★★★
Value for $: ★★★★☆
Smoked Marlin Restaurant
Location: Main Street. Hopewell, Hanover
Opening Hours: 12pm-9pm
By: Gabrielle Burgess
If you liked this article, follow Suga Lifestyle or like the Suga Lifestyle Facebook page.