Kerryanne Croft of the Vitamin M box says trying to fit in is boring, create the change you want to see.
What’s the Vitamin M box?
Based in New Jersey, Kerryanne saw a lack of support and love for Black owned businesses. She wanted to change that, so The Vitamin M Subscription Box was born. M is for Melanin, the dark brown to black pigment occurring in our skin.
Vitamin M isn’t just a subscription box. It is a movement to not only support these substantial businesses, but to help build their communities and share their stories. The Vitamin M box delivers brands in the form of beauty, fashion, books, home and lifestyle produced by people of colour to your doorstep.
Every 3rd month, Kerryanne donates 10% of the proceeds to a charity/non-profit in the Black and Brown community.
Kerry believes we need to continue to highlight these entrepreneurs over businesses that don’t see or respect their shine.
GW Art is a part of the Vitamin M box for December and the boxes are sold out!
What’s in it from GW Art?
It’s Always Wine o’clock Post-its! Just in time for your New Year’s affirmations.
Kingston Kitchen had Hope Gardens buzzing with activity last Saturday. It was a great event for family, friends and foodies to unite for the love of food.
The event was well supported, probably the biggest staging I’ve ever seen. The logistics and execution of the event was quite commendable.
Just a few drawbacks for me. One bar was not enough for the event and amount of patrons. It was overcrowded to say the least.
I also believe that our Gastronomy network via the Tourism Industry should have been involved with the event to incorporate tourists from various hotels on the north coast of the island. Kingston Kitchen’s Night Market would have been an eye-opening experience for them to see so much of our culture in one area and in one night. The event would also expose them to Kingston, as many tourists are unaware of the many cultural activities, beauty and places to go that exist in Kingston. For the next Kingston Kitchen, I would like to see them in bus loads!
There were so many vendors to pick, choose and refuse from, Suga and husband went with a hit list.
Here is a reminder of what Kingston Kitchen had to offer in addition to entertainment for adults and kids:
I am proud to say my husband, Randy and I succeeded. We definitely took note of places to try in the near future as well.
MUST-STOPS AND GLAD BAG BUSS
● Stush in the Bush– A variety of unique Sauces, Spreads and Preserves made with love. Always a crowd pleaser.
● Lucky Strike Seafood Bar and Grill – Their Seafood bowl is always a hit. My husband approves!
● Street Food Saturdays – Fresh mint Lemonade, Street corn and more. They kept patrons coming all night!
● Fish Pot – Flavourful, peppery Fish soup. Great gas buster to prep for food galore.
●Simo’s Bread and Catering – Pastries, Soursop Popsicles, Dessert, Sauces, Seasonings. Excellent spread as usual from the main hands of it all, Christina Simonitsch.
● I Love Paella – Rich, flavourful Tapas! From Valencia with love. Bravas, Croquetas and Empañadas cooked right in front of you.
● Scott van Bonnet – New kid on the block from Blue Diamond Shopping Centre, Montego Bay. They had tasty Turkey and Lamb Wraps. Loved the infused flavours.
Coming soon to Kingston, Ocho Rios and Negril. Can’t wait!
● Topp In Designz Limited – Foodie Gear galore!
Suga had to cop this shirt!
● Gypsy House Tapas!
I have never thrown away food at Kingston Kitchen, but there is always a first. Trust me, I tried my best to eat their Seafood and Meat stacked Paella, but I just couldn’t get past the dry rice that nearly choked me and lack of flavour. It was horrible. Chef Enric’s, I Love Paella still stands as the place to go for authentic Valencian Paella.
● Soup King
They didn’t have any Soup for over an hour after the start time of the event. They seemed to have gotten things going later on in the night though.
SATISFYING STOPS #SugaSnaps
● Lyming at Walkerswood – Mannish water, Curried Goat and more. Jamaican cooked food that goes right to the heart and makes you feel at home.
● NCR Sheep Limited – Tasty Lamb sausage.
● Rolly Polly – Ice cream for adults and kids. I enjoyed my topping of Bailey’s rum cream on my Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream. Delish!
Patrons enjoyed their small giveaways, boomerang photo booth and money machine! Fun addition to the event.
MISSED OPPORTUNITIES #SugaSpieswithHer4Eyes
> Fromage Bistro and Brasserie, Cafe Dolce, Pita Grill, Deaf Can! Coffee, Chocolate Dreams, Until We Eat Again, Cannonball Cafe, Pink Apron Jamaica, Tea Tree Créperie and Sip ‘n’ Go Juice Bar.
Suga didn’t get to stop by the usual crowd faves mentioned above, but I could see that they continued to please!
PLACES TO EXPERIENCE IN THE NEAR FUTURE #SugasRadar
> Eatopia Jamaica, WTF Burgers and 25 Wafflerie
Kudos to Director Leisha Wong, Melanie Miller and their team for their hard work, efforts and a well executed Foodie affair. #SugaEndorsed
Until the next one!
By: Gabrielle Burgess
If you liked this article, follow Suga Lifestyle or like the Suga Lifestyle Facebook page.
Have you been attending a lot of Wedding Expos, making a lot of phone calls for advice and quotes lately and/or having various consultations with Wedding Vendors in preparation for your Big Day? If so, this Wedding Promotion is for you.
When you feel the pressure of planning a Wedding, GCG Events Jamaica takes many items off your to-do list and makes them seem hassle-free. Suga had this experience with GCG catering for her Wedding. We all know my demands would be specific and expectations would have been high and they delivered flawlessly last April 2016. Kudos to GCG!
GCG not only caters for Weddings but for Corporate and Social events as well. For the complete package that they offer, for instance if you also require their Bar Services, they provide all the necessary glassware, ice, flatware, cutlery, disposables and service staff for an unbeatable price. Not to mention that they come fully equipped with their cooling trucks, electricity and more.
When booking with GCG, it is likely that you would communicate with Jasmin Ramsay or Cheridah Douglas who are the epitome of quick, efficient communication, quality service and the ability to deduce the needs of their customers, often without even having to ask.
The Chefs and Waiting Staff are personable, pleasant and conduct live cooking stations with delicious dishes. I highly recommend their Carving station. They do a tender, fresh, succulent Beef Tenderloin cut to perfection.
They also do a scrumptious Cheesecake and the list goes on. I haven’t had a disappointing dish from them to date.
GCG usually makes the effort to have their Presentation suit your theme as well. Check out this Presentation to go with a Rustic theme:
Do you want the Catering and Bar service at your Wedding to be Simply Outstanding?
Enter GCG Events Jamaica’s “The Day We Met” Wedding Promotion for the chance to be one of three lucky couples to win Simply Outstanding Savings for your Jamaican Wedding!
They will be teaming up with other reputable Wedding Vendors, offering discounts for Music and Equipment, Photography, Decor and Wedding Planning Services.
***Conditions apply. So see the Prize Details, Rules and Requirements to enter the Wedding Promotion below:
● 35%- 45% off GCG Events’ Wedding Catering Package
● 30% off Music and Equipment from Blaktie Entertainment Jamaica (@blaktiejamaica)
● 20% off Sean Murray Photography’s Photography Package (@seanmurrayphotography)
● 25% off Taylor’d Events’ Decor Package (@Taylord.events)
● 30% off Concierge Jamaica’s Wedding Planning Services (@conciergejm)
1. The Competition will run from August 28th – October 31st, 2017 on both Facebook & Instagram, and is open to couples planning on getting married in Jamaica between November 2017 and June 2018 whose minimum guest count is eighty (80).
2. Weddings already booked with GCG Events prior to August 28, 2017 do not qualify for entry.
3. Top three couples whose post has the most likes win! So there isn’t just 1 winner!
4. Entries close October 31, 2017. Winners will be announced on November 2, 2017!
HOW TO ENTER:
1. Post a video on your FB or IG page telling us how you met, the proposed date & venue of your Wedding, your ideal Wedding concept & menu preferences.
2. Be sure to include the following hashtags – #gcgeventswedding #simplyoutstanding #winningwedding
3. Tag: @gcg_events, @blaktiejamaica, @conciergejm, @Taylord.events, and @seanmurrayphotography
4. Share your post with friends! Most likes wins!
*** GCG Events Jamaica reserves the right not to accept or to disqualify any entries if any of the above terms & conditions are not followed correctly***
Let GCG make your Wedding Simply Outstanding! #SugaEndorsed
Location: Norman Manley Int’l Airport. Kingston, Jamaica
Ph: (876) 924-8364
Facebook: GCG Events
By: Gabrielle Burgess
If you liked this Promo, follow Suga Lifestyle or like the Suga Lifestyle Facebook page.